You’re Graduating. Congrats! Now What?
May 20, 2014
If you’re like many college grads, your life has some open questions: What do I want to do with my life? Where will I live? Will I ever be able to wake up before 11 a.m.?
These questions can be both exciting and scary, and we don’t have an answer for them all. But there’s one important thing we can settle right here: You don’t have to go without health insurance.
If you’re losing coverage you had through school, you could qualify to sign up for health insurance. And don’t forget — almost half of young Americans could get covered for under $50 a month!
So, how do you get covered? Here are the key things to know:
- If your parents have health insurance, you might be able to join their plan until you turn 26. (In some states, you may be able to stay on your parent’s insurance even longer — so check with the insurance company to find out!)
- If that’s not an option, you can get your own plan through your state’s Health Insurance Marketplace.
- Most people will get help paying for insurance, or even qualify for free or low-cost coverage through Medicaid.
- All plans must cover the care you need, like doctor visits, prescriptions, and hospital stays. And, preventive care is free.
- You can’t be denied coverage for having a pre-existing condition.
- If you don’t get covered, you might have to pay a fine (nobody wants that!).
- Mark your calendar: You have 60 days after losing coverage to sign up and pick a plan. So get on it!
Graduating is a huge accomplishment, and you’re no doubt excited for what the future may hold. But no matter what these next years throw your way, there’s one thing you can count on: having affordable, reliable health insurance.
Sign up to learn more about your health insurance options
We're here to help you on your journey to get covered. We’ll connect you to your state's Health Insurance Marketplace and let you know what to expect once you get there.Get Enrolled
Volunteer With Us
Get Covered America is a grassroots campaign powered by volunteers. Sign up now to volunteer!