Five Years of the ACA
March 23, 2015
Happy anniversary to the ACA!
Today marks five years since the Affordable Care Act was signed into law.
So many milestones have been reached during this time. People no longer have to worry about how they will pay for an unforeseen medical expense nor worry about getting sick and potentially losing their coverage. Here’s a glimpse at what the ACA has done.
- 2.3 million young people, between the ages of 19 and 25, have gained coverage since 2010
- Insurance companies can no longer drop a person’s coverage for getting sick
- Eliminated pre-existing conditions and gender discrimination – meaning you won’t be charged more because of your health status or gender
- Gave 47 million women access to guaranteed preventative women’s health services
- 4.2 million Latino adults gained coverage – a 12.3 percentage point drop in the uninsured rate.
- Ensured every plan covers 10 essential health services, including emergency room visits, prescription drugs and preventative care
- More than 1.2 million Texans have a quality, affordable health insurance plan
- 68 percent of Texas Marketplace enrollees obtained coverage for $100 or less after any applicable tax credits
- 468,797 consumers in Texas under the age of 35 are signed up for Marketplace coverage
Sign up to learn more about your health insurance options
We're here to help you on your journey to get covered. We’ll connect you to your state's Health Insurance Marketplace and let you know what to expect once you get there.Get Enrolled
Volunteer With Us
Get Covered America is a grassroots campaign powered by volunteers. Sign up now to volunteer!