What happens if I don’t sign up for health insurance by February 15th?
Most people must sign up for health insurance by February 15th or they will have to pay a fine.
The 2015 fine is $325 per person or 2% of a your household income, whichever is higher.
You might not have to pay a fine if any of these apply to you:
- Your income is below the tax filing limit
- You suffer a hardship that prevents you from being able to buy health coverage
- Health coverage is unaffordable for you
- You are incarcerated
- The time you go without coverage is less than three months
- You have a religious objection
- You are an undocumented immigrant
- You are a member of an Indian tribe
It’s important to remember that someone who pays the fine won’t get any health insurance coverage. So if you get sick or hurt, you will still be responsible for 100% of the cost of your medical care. With so many new health insurance options available, you may be better off getting a low-cost plan, or even a catastrophic plan, rather than taking your chance. Remember: More than 4 in 5 people who already signed up got financial help.
- What’s a Health Insurance Marketplace? Why do I need health insurance?
- I got covered. What’s next?
- What will my new health insurance plan cover?
- What type of plan is right for me?
- How do I find a doctor or other health care provider with my plan?
- How much will my new health insurance cost? Can I get financial help?
- How much will it cost to visit a doctor?
- How do I know if a prescription drug is covered?
- When can I sign up for health insurance?
- What should I do before I sign up?
- I got covered. Do I need to do anything to stay covered?
- Do I qualify for free coverage?
Sign up to learn more about your health insurance options
We're here to help you on your journey to get covered. We’ll connect you to your state's Health Insurance Marketplace and let you know what to expect once you get there.Get Enrolled
Volunteer With Us
Get Covered America is a grassroots campaign powered by volunteers. Sign up now to volunteer!