What’s a Health Insurance Marketplace? Why do I need health insurance?
The new health care law sets up a health insurance marketplace in each state, which is your one-stop shopping destination for health insurance. It works in the same way you would shop for any other important item in your life: You look at all the available options in your area, compare each plan’s features and prices side-by-side, then choose the one that fits your needs and your budget.
6 key facts about the new health insurance options:
- Financial help is available.
- Preventive care is free.
- Application help is available — and free.
- You can’t be turned down for coverage for a having a pre-existing condition.
- The costs and benefits of each plan must be explained in easy-to-understand language — with no fine print.
- All health insurance plans have to cover important benefits, like doctor visits, hospitalizations, prescriptions, and more.
You buy insurance for your home, your car, maybe even your cell phone. Why not for your health? If something happens to you, you leave yourself vulnerable to large medical bills. No one plans to get sick or hurt. But no one should go broke — or even bankrupt — because of an injury or illness.
Even if you’re healthy now, family history with things like high blood pressure, diabetes, or cancer can make you vulnerable to expensive health care needs. Having quality health insurance gives you protection from the unexpected.
The marketplace reopens each year. For more information, visit HealthCare.gov.
Sign up to learn more about your health insurance options
We're here to help you on your journey to get covered. We’ll connect you to your state's Health Insurance Marketplace and let you know what to expect once you get there.Get Enrolled
Volunteer With Us
Get Covered America is a grassroots campaign powered by volunteers. Sign up now to volunteer!