Helping Texans Get Covered, Stay Covered
September 17, 2014
National Hispanic Heritage Month is underway now and runs through Oct. 15. Here are three reasons that Hispanic Heritage Month makes a compelling time to talk about health insurance.
1) Texas had a higher-than-average rate of Latino participation in the first open enrollment period of the Affordable Care Act. It’s great that outreach and enrollment groups here did a good job reaching Latino communities, but . . .
2) Latinos continue to be more likely to be uninsured. According to a recent report from the National Council of La Raza, Latinos are among the most likely Texans to be uninsured, with nearly 4 out of every 10 Texans from Latino communities lacking health coverage. About half of the total uninsured population in Texas comes from Latino communities.
3) Getting covered is a first step, but people also need to know how to use their coverage. Since Latinos make up a large portion of the newly insured, many would benefit from extra support that aims to help them use their health insurance effectively. Our national director wrote recently about the importance of health insurance literacy. And Enroll America is working with partners around the state and nationally this month to put on a series of Health and Education Resource Fairs to promote health insurance literacy.
Want to get involved? Here is a sampling of some upcoming health education and resource fairs happening soon:
- A North Texas Health Insurance Resource and Education Fair will take place on Monday, Sept. 22 from 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. at Eastfield College, 3737 Motley Drive, Room 100-101, Mesquite, TX 75150. Consumers will receive information, in English and Spanish, about getting insured, staying insured if they have been alerted about a data discrepancy in their enrollment, and using coverage effectively. Computer access for consumers wanting to set up profiles on Healthcare.Gov will be available.
- A pair of upcoming events in San Antonio with Enroll SA Will Promote Health Literacy. Get Covered America, Enroll SA partners, Bexar Health Collaborative, NCLR, and NALEO will be among the partners at the two events.
- The first event will be on Saturday, Sept. 27, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Sky Harbour Elementary School, Southwest ISD, 5902 Fischers Bend, San Antonio, 78242.
- The second will be on Saturday, October 11, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Ed White Middle School, Northeast ISD, 7800 Midcrown Drive, San Antonio, 78218.
- Get Covered America in Houston will be promoting Health Literacy for Houston Residents at the Consulate of Honduras on Friday, Oct. 10, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. The health fair location is 7400 Harwin Dr., Suite 200, Houston, TX 77036.
Sign up to learn more about your health insurance options
We're here to help you on your journey to get covered. We’ll connect you to your state's Health Insurance Marketplace and let you know what to expect once you get there.Get Enrolled
Volunteer With Us
Get Covered America is a grassroots campaign powered by volunteers. Sign up now to volunteer!