Got Health Coverage? Important Steps to Follow During Open Enrollment to #StayCovered
November 6, 2014
With the opening of the Health Insurance Marketplace set for November 15, consumers will soon be able to set up an account, shop for and select a health coverage plan to meet their individual and family needs.
For those who have already purchased a policy, you may be able to continue using the same plan. However, you should be prepared to not only ensure your information is as detailed and up-to-date as possible in your Marketplace account, but also be ready to consider new options that will be available to consumers this year.
“We are mere days away from the beginning of open enrollment and are working diligently to get the word out to Arizona consumers who have a Marketplace plan that they should act quickly to ensure a seamless transition to the 2015 cycle,” said Cheryl O’Donnell, Arizona state director for Get Covered America. “Most who are now insured will have to do very little to stay covered, but some will need to take additional action; we recommend they do so as soon as the Marketplace opens.”
Follow these five steps by December 15 to ensure you get the best deal for your money:
1. Review your plan and consider whether it’s time to switch to something else. Each year, insurance companies change some plan benefits and costs, meaning you may find a better deal elsewhere on the Marketplace. Keep in mind your family’s needs and decide whether a different plan will work better for your situation.
2. Update and verify your income, family size and other relevant information by logging in to your Healthcare.gov account, even if nothing has changed. You may qualify for a different financial assistance amount based on the cost of your plan for 2015. Additionally, because of this year’s Heartbleed virus, your password will need to be reset before you can make changes and start shopping.
3. Compare costs of new or existing plans. In Arizona, consumers have already received notice if they need to take action to switch their plans, as some of the less popular ones will be replaced with others. Arizonans will have ample opportunity to review once the Marketplace opens in two weeks.
4. Choose a health plan for 2015. Once November 15 rolls around, consumers can pick a new plan or keep the same one, provided it is still offered.
5. Enroll in that plan and be sure to continue making payments. #StayCovered by contacting your provider to confirm enrollment, particularly if you switched companies.
More than 120,000 Arizonans purchased a health plan on the Health Insurance Marketplace, while another 220,000+ and counting now have Medicaid through the Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System (AHCCCS).
For consumers who are unable to make changes online, they can reach the Health Insurance Marketplace by calling 1-800-318-2596.
Sign up to learn more about your health insurance options
We're here to help you on your journey to get covered. We’ll connect you to your state's Health Insurance Marketplace and let you know what to expect once you get there.Get Enrolled
Volunteer With Us
Get Covered America is a grassroots campaign powered by volunteers. Sign up now to volunteer!