How the LGBT Community Can Get Covered
September 17, 2013
Did you know that one in three lower-income lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) adults in the United States are living without health insurance?
That’s why we were thrilled to participate in the launch of new initiative designed to reach LGBT Americans about their health insurance opportunities, called Out2Enroll, in a kickoff briefing at the White House on Thursday, September 12.
Similar to Get Covered America, Out2Enroll is about answering questions and providing the best information about how members of the LGBT community can find a health insurance plan to fit their needs and budgets.
The Center for American Progress, one of the main partners in the Out2Enroll campaign, has a fact sheet detailing the top things LGBT Americans need to know about their health insurance options under the Affordable Care Act. Here are some highlights:
- Through the Health Insurance Marketplace, you will see all health insurance plans and prices clearly laid out side-by-side, with no fine print.
- You’ll have multiple ways to get help and find a plan that’s right for you — online, in person, or over the phone.Every plan available in the Health Insurance Marketplace will have to cover important benefits like doctor visits, hospitalizations, prescriptions, preventive care, and more.
- No one can be treated differently in the Marketplace because of sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression. You’ll have the same access to health insurance plans as everybody else.
- No one can be denied coverage or charged more for having HIV, cancer, or any other pre-existing condition.
- If you are a transgender person, you can expect your insurance will cover the same services offered to everyone else on your same plan. Depending on your coverage, surgical procedures pertaining to gender transition may also be included.
- Regardless of where you live, if you are legally married, you can receive financial assistance as a married couple.
You can check back at Out2Enroll for more information as the Health Insurance Marketplace opens in each state. Here’s to getting the word out!
Sign up to learn more about your health insurance options
We're here to help you on your journey to get covered. We’ll connect you to your state's Health Insurance Marketplace and let you know what to expect once you get there.Get Enrolled
Volunteer With Us
Get Covered America is a grassroots campaign powered by volunteers. Sign up now to volunteer!