How Women Benefit from the ACA
July 23, 2013
As of January 1st, being a woman will no longer be considered a pre-existing condition–all thanks to the Affordable Care Act.
This was the subject of a special #GetCovered Tweetchat with some of our partners: National Women’s Law Center, National Partnership for Women and Families, Moms Rising, Latina Institute, Planned Parenthood, Raising Women’s Voices and the National Women’s Health Network. Check out the Storify story, but here are some of the highlights:
- Did you know that 30% of all women have a pre-existing condition? Among them are pregnancy, c-sections, and gestational diabetes.
- As of January 1st, pregnancy, childbirth, and babies will be covered. That means prenatal visits, ultrasounds, as well as breastfeeding counseling, breast pumps and infant care. More well visits mean less sick visits.
- All women will have access to more than 20 preventative services, such as annual check-ups, blood pressure screenings, Pap smears, mammograms, and more. Best of all, they’re FREE. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Check out National Partnership’s full list of preventative services.
- Young women will benefit from the Affordable Care Act. Beyond the ability to stay on their parents’ health insurance until age 26, there are lots of other options through the Health Insurance Marketplaces. Check out Planned Parenthood’s ACA at a Glance page and Raising Women’s Voices Campus Coverage page.
- Older women will also benefit from health care reform. The ACA begins to close the Medicare “donut hole,” which will save families money. In addition, the ACA provides assistance to families taking care of elderly loved ones. Read the National Partnership for Women and Families fact sheet..
We look forward to having more Tweetchats on these important healthcare topics, so you get all the info you need before the Health Insurance Marketplaces open in October—so you too, can get covered in 2014!
Sign up to learn more about your health insurance options
We're here to help you on your journey to get covered. We’ll connect you to your state's Health Insurance Marketplace and let you know what to expect once you get there.Get Enrolled
Volunteer With Us
Get Covered America is a grassroots campaign powered by volunteers. Sign up now to volunteer!