Tip: Preventive Care Is Free
August 20, 2015
Have you signed up for health insurance recently? You have? That’s great! When you signed up, you may have heard something about free preventive care.
Here’s what that means: With your insurance, you won’t have to pay for things like regular checkups, well-woman visits, vaccinations, and screenings. They’re free! Those “preventive care” visits in your network are covered by your insurance for free. No co-pay. Nothing “out of pocket.” And they won’t count towards your deductible. (Check out a full list of what kinds of services are covered for free here.)
If you’re healthy right now, you might be thinking that you don’t need to see a doctor for preventive care. Or that you don’t need a “primary care provider” — that’s someone you can go to for checkups.
Here are five reasons why it’s important to use preventive care regularly, even when you’re not sick and you don’t need help right away.
- Your primary care doctor can get to know you, and get to know your health history. That way, if you end up needing more help with a health issue later, they’ll be as prepared as possible to give you the best advice they can.
- Checkups and screenings (for things like blood pressure and cholesterol) can help catch and fix small problems before they become big problems. When you see a doctor regularly, they can spot any small changes in your health and help you stay on track.
- Things like vaccinations can keep you healthy. For example: You can get a free flu shot in the fall. That can keep you from being stuck at home with the flu during the holidays. It can also help keep your family healthy!
- Your primary care doctor can keep an eye out for any health issues you’ve had before. If you have a history of certain health issues, like heart conditions or some cancers, your doctor can make sure you’re healthy now and look out for any symptoms.
- Preventive care can help give you peace of mind. Think about it: After you’ve had your checkups and your screenings, you’ll have one less thing to worry about. If you get tune-ups for your car, why not for your health?
Ready to schedule a preventive care visit? Find out how to find a doctor or other health care provider!
Sign up to learn more about your health insurance options
We're here to help you on your journey to get covered. We’ll connect you to your state's Health Insurance Marketplace and let you know what to expect once you get there.Get Enrolled
Volunteer With Us
Get Covered America is a grassroots campaign powered by volunteers. Sign up now to volunteer!